Sunday, May 13, 2007

thoughts after the final

From my first idea to the last idea, my thesis concept has refined based on much research and user testing. At first I only knew my project will be about designing 3D creatures and make them believable. Through my discovery of a new field of research called chimeric experimentation and my encounter of the Discovery Channel series titled Alien Planet, I started shifting my 3D creatures towards the science direction. Thus I came up with the idea of creating a science lab that concentrates in creating new breeds of human that are part animal. Although this was an interesting idea and had provoked curiosity from many other people, I got carried away by the social and environmental issues which were not completely my interest. Thus, I decided to not lock myself into the laboratory idea and just focus on character creation with an intended approach from a scientific point of view.

I think this pre-thesis class was a very productive experience. I have developed my general and broad idea into one that is much more specific and coherent. Considering the final presentation, I believe I did a satisfactory job. By stating my elevator pitch first, I gave a clear idea of what my thesis project will be. Then I presented my inspirations and precedents, followed by a detailed example of a piece in my project and what I would like to accomplish in the future. I tried to engage the audience with adequate visual aides and minimum text. And in return, I had received many helpful comments and critiques, including new suggestions such as relating to comical characters, thinking about the need for hyper-realistic creatures, and using exactly what animals. Although I still need to specify the direction to which I will take my project, I feel that I have gained enough help to assist me in making the decision next semester.

I think I am in a good position now in terms of preparedness to go into next year. I have the urge to stay with this idea for my thesis project because I am interested in both the technical and conceptual aspects. I will take my current idea and further develop it into a more solid concept, following by the actual production of the project.

No comments: