Monday, April 16, 2007

thoughts after the midterm

Most comments I have received from the midterm were concerning about the final delivery of my project. Specifically speaking, many were more interested in the lab itself instead of the creatures. Some were drawn to the social and environmental impacts that I had proposed. Some had suggested making the form of my lab somewhat resembles Area 51 or placing the lab within US territory instead of on a remote island. However, others had reminded me that the essence of my project is about character creation and questioned me about my true interest. Honestly speaking, I am far more interested in creating these creatures than constituting the social and environmental impacts. However, in order to make the existence of these creatures plausible, I need to have a solid background and context within which to place these creatures. The suggestions on the format of the lab were extremely useful.

I am also scratching the idea of the secret website. The web itself suggests freedom to gather and exchange information. This completely contradicts the secrecy of the lab. Thus, I think the web will only become a way for me to archive my actual thesis presentation.

Right now, I am still in the process of finding the best way to connect the creatures. I still believe the idea of the lab is a very interesting way to bring together all the creatures under one context, but i really do need to make it more concrete.

No comments: